Saturday, December 05, 2009

Amigurumi Tips

This Christmas season I'll be creating and designing mini gnomes. The gnomes I'm creating are Amigurumi Gnomes worked in single crochet.  I also like the idea of using the left over yarn from other items to make these.

The body minus legs and arms

Stitch markers are a necessity to mark the beginning or ending of each round.  I place a stitch marker on the last stitch of the round.

To join a different color yarn, after completing the last sc of the round, using the same color yarn (brown in my boot) do a yarn over and leave two loops, then draw the other color (red for my gnomes pants)through the two loops.

Hide the tails behind the single crochet stitches in the first round being worked with the second color, then using scissors cut the short end.

Stuff the leg as you go using polyester fiberfill.   Be careful not to overstuff.  Just a small amount is required.

Continue adding fiberfill; stop adding at least 3/4 an inch before getting to the top.  This is not too clear. What I'm trying to say is make sure you leave unstuffed about 3/4 of an inch.  This will help your creation sit on the bottom.

I thought it would be fun to name my creations, so here is Roywinkle.
Amigurumi Gnome




Jabberbug

3 comments:

Yamma Mamma said...

Love it, and thanks for the tips! I'm wanting to play around with making amigurumi as soon as I finish my Christmas knitting/crocheting, so I will definitely keep your pointers in mind. Your little guy is so cute!

Connie said...

RoyWinkle is too adorable! I didn't know these were so tiny. I still adore them and want the pattern when ever you put it up for sale!

Virginia bed and breakfast said...

Thanks for the tips!
I finish my Christmas knitting/crocheting, so I will definitely keep your pointers in mind. Your little guy is so cute!