Sunday, March 13, 2011

Breakfast Couscous

I love to eat Couscous because of its nutritional value but also because it is so easy and quick to prepare.  Most people think Couscous is a grain but it really is considered a Pasta.  Up to know I've used Couscous in savory dishes and I was pleasantly surprised how good it was cooked in orange juice.  I found the recipe I used this morning in the book The New Glucose Revolution Low GI Family Cookbook.





 
I did not have the exact ingredients but went ahead with what I had and it turned delicious.

This is my interpretation:
Breakfast Couscous
1/2 cup Orange Juice
1/3  cup water
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup Tri Color Couscous
2 tbsp dried chopped apricots
Plain greek yogurt 
1 tsp Agave sweetener
2 tbsp toasted unsweetened coconut
1 tbsp whole wheat germ

1. Combine the orange juice, water and cinnamon in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer.
2. Add the chopped dried apricots to the juice.
3. Once the orange juice begins to simmer, add the couscous and turn off the heat.  Cover and allow the Couscous to absorb the liquids.  Fluff with a fork.
4. Sweeten the Greek yogurt using the Agave sweetener
5. Serve the warm couscous with Sweetened Greek Yogurt and top with the toasted coconut.

If you do not have any coconut you can add: slivered almonds or Wheat Germ.

Delicious and quick!



Jabberbug

No comments: