Sunday, February 13, 2011

Cooking Shirataki Noodles

I finally had the opportunity to cook Shirataki Noodles, an alternative to regular pasta.  My local Harris Teeter store only  carries this small 8 oz bags.  I have seen the white and the green noodles.  A co-worker had shared with me she liked the green ones better because the noodles did not smell as strong.  I just kept wondering what sort of smell she was talking about.  Then I found out. These noodles are packed in liquid and the best way I can describe the smell is -- FISHY.  So make sure you rinse real well by placing them on a colander.


Bring water to a boil, then add the noodles and cook according to the package directions.  I think they just have to boil for about 2 minutes.  The noodles are somewhat chewy.



I had on hand Sun Dried tomatoes in oil which are good in anything you cook.  Chop at least 1 cup of the tomatoes and add some of the oil.  Take two cloves of garlic and mince or chop finely.  That is all you need.  I guarantee you will not smell the original fishy smell.





Cook the sun dried tomatoes and the garlic together for a few seconds.  Add the drained Shirataki noodles and combine well.
Season with salt, pepper and add Parmesan Cheese.

Shirataki noodles are an alternative to cooking regular spaghetti noodles.  They claim  to be guilt free so really just good if you are trying to eat less carbohydrates that cause weight gain.  Next time I will try the green Shirataki noodles.  I bet they would be delicious with some fresh spinach and garlic.

This small bag will yield two small servings.



Jabberbug

3 comments:

Shirataki Noodles said...

Thanks for posting the recipe awesome.....

Anonymous said...

Hi.. where can i buy shirataki noodles. Thank you

Aura said...

@anonymous - You can find them in your grocery store or perhaps in an Asian market. Just make sure you rinse them well as they have a strong flavor.