Wednesday, July 13, 2011

5 Ingredient Ratatouille

I found the easiest Ratatouille recipe in Claire Robinson's 5 ingredient Fix.  Our eggplants have matured enough to be picked so I decided to try this very easy to make Ratatouille.

Making Ratatouille
To make it you will need:
 Easy Ratatouille
1 medium red onion chopped
1 large eggplant or 3 small ones cut into 1/2 inch cubes.
Sea salt and pepper to season
A few tomatoes{the recipe calls for 1 large one} I did not think that was enough and since I have a lot of Roma tomatoes, I used at least 6. (about 4 cups chopped)
1 tablespoon small brined capers plus 1 tablespoon brine from the jar.

Heat some olive oil and  then add the onion and cook until softened.  Add 2 cloves of garlic minced.  Add the chopped eggplant, season with salt and pepper.  Cook stirring every few minutes until soft, about 10 minutes.  Add the chopped tomatoes, capers and caper brine and continue cooking until very hot and the tomato is just beginning to break down, about 5 minutes more.

Note: The original recipe calls for garlic infused oil; I just used 2 garlic cloves minced a cooked in the olive oil. 

I absolutely love the flavor the capers impart in this easy Ratatouille. Do not skip this ingredient.
Capers
I used about 3 cups chopped roma tomatoes from my garden.
Chopped Roma Tomatoes and Capers
Roma tomatoes I picked a few days ago from the garden.
Black Eye Susans
Me and Carla resting a few days ago after doing my gardening chores.

July2011 124
This was a refreshing lemon/blueberry water. I would love some right now to tell you the truth.
Blueberry Lemon Water
 See you around....and may you continue to enjoy your summer as much as I am enjoying mine. 



Jabberbug
Post a Comment