Sunday, October 17, 2010

Got Stains??

I try so hard not to stain my shirts -- but what can I say, it's an going thing with the stains. So yesterday I did some online research and found some green stain remover recipes. I only did a small batch to test if the recipe would indeed be effective.  The original recipe called for baking soda but I substituted that ingredient with washing soda. Washing soda is good to treat mustard, chocolate, blueberry, cola, meat, grease spatters and olive oil.  Washing soda is available at the Grocery Store.  I bought mine at Harris Teeter.   Here's the recipe:

 
Stain Remover
1 cup hot water
1/4 cup washing soda
1/2 cup hydrogen peroxide.

These quantities make a small batch.  Double the ingredients to make a larger quantity. Mix in a glass container  1 cup hot water,  1/4 cup washing soda and 1/2 cup hydrogen peroxide.  Store this mix in a spray bottle.  I put this one to the test right away and it did work on my stained knit shirt. 

Note: If you shake mix while it's still warm, it will continue to to squirt without stopping, so wait to use until  the mix has cooled down to spray. Do shake the mix before spraying.
I was in the mood for trying recipes and since I ran out of my liquid soap I decided to try making my own.

Using your grater, finely grate about 1/2 a cup of bar of soap.  I got my goat milk soap from  Heart Creations. Add about a cup and a half of water.  Mix will be runny.   Pour the mix using a funnel into an empty liquid soap bottle or any bottle that has a pump.
Mixing with a wooden spoon did not quite break down the soap....so I looked around the kitchen and found something I could use.
I used the frother to break the soap flakes --- look how foamy it got....then
It was  tricky to get the mix down the funnel. lol.... as you can see. You learn all kinds of things.
I did end up with liquid soap and it's all natural.





Jabberbug

2 comments:

Connie said...

Thanks for the info...I'll be trying that natural spot remover as I am always dripping something on my tops when I eat.

ElisabethCS said...

I heard Dre's voice in your writing...:) Thanks for sharing your new find. I need a new stain treatment. Baby boy's poopy-explosions are leaving stains. Not fun.