Thursday, January 04, 2007

Very Easy Acorn Squash



I picked up some recipe cards at the Harris Teeter store where I shop. I love vegetables and do my best to eat them daily. This recipe was pretty good, quick and easy to put together. The hardest step was cutting the acorn squash itself. They are very tough. Please be very careful. With the help of my Pampered Chef Santoku Knife (I think that's how you spell the knive's name) the job was made easier.

Autumn Acorns

2 Medium acorn squash, halved
2 to 4 tbsp dried cranberries (I love these)
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 tbsp butter,, cut in 4 pieces
chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)

Place squash halves, cut side down, on a plate and microwave on HIGH for 5 minutes, ,or until nearly tender.

Turn halves over. Season squash with salt and pepper Mix the syrup and cranberries. Divide cranberries, maple syrup and butter between the squash halves.

Microwave uncovered on HIGH for 5 t o 7 minutes more. Delicious

Per Serving: 167 calories, 37g carbohydrate, 2g protein, 3g fat, 4g fiver, 8mg cholesterol, 47 mg sodium

Recipe Note: Do not refrigerate whole acorn squash. (Mine had been kept in the fridge and I did not notice this having any effect.) To cut, work slowly, gently rocking back and forth on the squash as you cut.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Drea said...

hmm.... wonder if id like those

Aura said...

Drea - You probably wouldn't - Maybe when you turn 30 or so...who knows. Maybe Taite might like it.

Drea said...

Hehe maybe when im 30 :-) taste buds change then?... hmm...