Friday, December 31, 2010

Food For Thought

The New Year 2011 begins tomorrow and it's time to make resolutions. Merriam Webster defines resolution as the process of resolving, determining. I don't have a long list of resolutions but as I turn a new leaf and the New Year begins I would like to try new foods  super foods and add them to my diet. These are some foods I intend to add to my diet in my quest of staying healthy.

I learned today that you can't get antioxidants from supplements only from the foods you eat.

1. Chia Seeds - Who would have known you can consume these.  These are the seeds used in making Chia pets.The site GET CHIA LLC even offers free shipping, just in case you can't find these locally.The site also features recipes. I have never had a Chia Pet....maybe I will now.


2. Black Rice. This rice will turn  dark purple after cooked due to the anthocyanin antioxidant content.  It also supplies minerals including iron.  Look for black rice at your local grocery store or an Oriental supermarket. 
3. Pistachios - Wow I had no idea Pistachios were so good.  They are delicious too.  Pistachios supply fiber, vegetable protein, antioxidants, carotenoids lutein zeaxnthin which fight macular degeneration that results in blindness as we age.  This power nut is easily found at your local grocery store.

4. Teff - a nutrient fiber. This is a gluten free whole grain which will add to your diet, fiber, protein, calcium and iron.  A mere 1/4 cup supplies 6 grams of fiber.  I'm thinking of adding Teff  when I bake quick breads or muffins.

5. Cherries - Love, love cherries in any form.  You can eat them year round frozen or dried. They are good for any age group but especially for women in the 50's group like me going through the dreaded menopause.  Cherries are packed with antioxidants and even contain Melatonin which will help you sleep better at night.  I'm definitely snacking on these at night.
6. Brussels Sprouts. I already eat these at least twice a month.  I really need to eat more though since they contain more vitamin C than any vegetable.  They help your body produce Collagen which in turn will help your skin look younger.  This green power food also supplies fiber and folic acid.
 Good Morning America listed these and a few other super foods that will make a difference in a woman's life.  Read the story here and take charge of your health by adding some or all of these to your diet.
So what good foods are you planning to eat during 2011?
Happy New Year to all!







Jabberbug

No comments: