Sunday, June 06, 2010

A Green and Lush Late Spring

Now that my allergies are gone I've been enjoying walking through the yard and spending time outside. The rains we have gotten lately have kept everything lush, green and thriving.  The yellow squash plant is also loving the heat and is gigantic.










Yellow squash are so easy to grow and I eat them fresh in salads or cooked.  The trick is checking the plants outside and avoid letting them get gigantic like......





This zucchini which was picked yesterday.  It measured 14-1/2 inches long!
I've always heard not to pick zucchinis when they get this big and use them for cooking.  I did not let it go to waste.  With the help of my food processor I shredded it for use in making Zucchini Bread.  I have enough in the freezer to make 8 loaves.
 The tomato plant. No tomatoes have been picked yet.
The herbs - dill, sage and sweet basil finally got over the early spring bugs.
The Gardenia plant is now at least 7 years.  It was a gift from a co-worker.  It is loaded of blooms.
 The blooms before they fully open.
Opened Bloom
Gardenias are excellent for cutting and arranging in a jar....only trouble is you bring the large black ants that also love to feed on their nectar.

This yellow flower looks a lot like the Yellow Coreopsis -- just larger.  The seeds came free in the mail.












After a week these are still looking fresh and smelling so wonderful.  My friend Debbi brought a bouquet on a recent visit.  











This is the easiest to grow and care of the Begonias I've had.  This plant is at least 4 years old.  When it gets cold, I cut it back and keep it inside.  When the weather gets warm it loves being outside and fills up in no time.  It's called Angel's Wing Begonia. They are also very easy to propagate and root very well in water.



I will be posting soon  the recipe I used to make Zucchini Bread.

Jabberbug

No comments: