Sunday, May 16, 2010

An Apple a Day

For some time now I have switched from crocheting to knitting.  I enjoy doing both and I find it's peculiar how out of the blue I find myself knitting and not crocheting.  I have been knitting continental for at least three years.  I started as most people  using the English method where you hold the working yarn on the right hand.  It took me some time to get used to knitting holding the working yarn on the left hand (continental) but like any new skill, practice is all that is needed.

This is how I knit continental:






On the video I stated I was making an apple cozy.  It ended up being a pear cozy.














The other side of the cozy looks like the picture on the right.  To knit this cozy I used size 7 (4.5 mm) double point needles and worsted weight wool yarn.







T








This is the bottom view of the cozy.









I was determined to make an apple cozy so I worked some more on the design and figured I needed to cast on less stitches to avoid making decreases.  This cozy was made using cotton yarn. The wooden button adds a nice touch.

An apple cozy is  the perfect project to practice knitting using double point needles.  I enjoyed so much  making them because it's an instant gratification project which will allow you to use yarn left over from other projects.

There is something beautiful and unique about a knitted apple cozy.  I am saving these cozies to give away as gifts.  I know I would feel special if someone presented me with such a gift.  After all...an apple a day keeps the doctor away. An apple cozy is the perfect way to transport an apple to avoid bruises.



Jabberbug

No comments: