Sunday, October 11, 2009

I'm always in the mood for..............


Butternut Squash is one of my favorites in the squash family. I especially like to make Butternut squash soup. The hardest part about making this soup is peeling and cutting in cubes the squash. I get my dear husband to do that part. He uses my Pampered Chef Santoku knife. If anyone does decide to make this soup, really be very careful while cutting the squash up. I was introduced to this recipe by Julie who used to work with me at the Library.

To make this delicious soup, you will need:

1 medium 2 lb size butternut squash cut up
1 carton of Vegetable Broth - 2 cups
1 cup orange juice
salt and pepper

Cook the squash in the broth until tender. Bring the squash to a boil, lower heat and simmer for around 15 to 20 minutes until squash is tender. Remove the squash from heat and cool slightly. Using a potato smashing tool break up the chunks.

Add 1 cup of orange juice.
I use a stick blender to finish the process of pureeing. Make sure you use the pulse motion or you will be splattered. You can also use a blender or your food processor to do this.
Return the soup to the stove and season with pepper and salt.

This is really neat 1 cup of squash cubes contains 63 calories, 0 grams fat, 1 gram of protein and 3 grams of dietary fiber.
Smileycons!

1 comment:

Heidi Price said...

Wow I will definately have to give this recipe a try! Sounds wonderful! :)