Tuesday, March 08, 2011

Whole Wheat Israeli Couscous

January2011 009
I really like Zahas Whole Wheat Israeli Couscous. It is nothing like the Bulgur couscous used to make Tabbouleh. I like to keep it in my pantry because it's very quick and easy  to prepare.    It is sold in small 8.8 oz packages and  the instructions only tell you how to cook the whole package.  I usually cook enough for one serving using 1/2 cup of the couscous with approximately 3/4 cup of water.

The instructions tell you to cook it in 2 tablespoons of oil (I use olive oil or grapeseed oil).  Basically you will be browning it and then you add boiling water.  It will be ready in 6 minutes.  The cooked couscous will be crunchy.


January2011 010

After I cook the couscous I usually sautee onions, mushrooms, peppers or tomatoes.  Any of your favorite veggies will do.  I added spinach to this recipe.



January2011 011

The yellow peppers and sugar plum tomatoes from Trader Joes were delicious in this recipe.
Whole Wheat Israeli Couscous

This delicious alternative to pasta supplies 6 grams of protein per 1/3 cup and it only contains 1 gram of sugar.

3 comments:

Ronni said...

Thanks for sharing your recipe, both these dishes look so pretty and are making me hungry! Where do you buy the couscous? Also, do you add any seasonings besides the olive oil?

Aura said...

Hi Ronni! You can buy the Streit's brand in Harris Teeter. It's a small bag and it costs under $2.00. Sometimes I just season with sea salt and pepper. You can also season with any seasoning salt such as Lawry's or Season All or you can also add 2 minced garlic.

lovejoy_31 said...

I tried this a few weeks ago and loved it. I honestly had no idea how to make it, but your way was delicious. And my husband thought so too which is amazing. LOL!!