Friday, March 18, 2011

Sprout my Chia Kitten





I have been having a lot of fun looking after my first Chia Pet. I even gave the Chia kitten I got for my birthday from my daughter and grand kids a name.  Meet Sprout.






The Chia kitten I got for my birthday came with a softie Chia Bear.  Here he is looking at the seeds which are soaking in water.  The instructions tell you to soak in 1/4 cup water 2 teaspoons of the Chia seeds.  In reality this is way too much.  You only need 1 teaspoon of chia seeds.  You have to soak the seeds for 1 hour.  Do not go over this amount of time like I did the first time.  If you do the seeds will be hard to adhere to the ceramic kitten.  As  the seeds soak they become gelatinous and this actually will help to spread the seeds on the surface.  Use a small spoon to pick up the seeds and spread all around the ridges.
If you leave  the seeds soaking for more than an hour, they turn really slimy and slippery.  As you  can see my first attempt was not successful.  I wasted a lot of seeds. Cliff has ordered me more Chia seeds.  You can buy them online from Amazon.

Keep you Chia Pet in a well lit space and fill the clay container daily with water.  There is a hole at the very top of the clay  container.  Always place the Chia pet on the plastic tray provided because it will leak water.  It also helps to mist your Chia pet with a spray bottle.
As you can see, I had much better results on my second try.


Chia seeds are considered a super food.  They can be consumed as seeds or after the seeds sprout.  This article provides information about the benefits of including Chia seeds in your diet.  Sorry Sprout....I will be eating your sprouts.

This is Sprout without his lush green coat!
 Keep the harvested sprouts in the refrigerator.

I added some Chia sprouts to my Avocado Sandwich.
Check this lady's blog for recipes and more ideas.

Jabberbug

1 comment:

Drea said...

awe i need one!