Saturday, January 22, 2011

Heart Healthy Granola



A co-worker from University City Regional Library shared with me a Granola recipe that does not contain oil. It turned out very good. I did make a few changes to her original recipe. Instead of using brown sugar, I used only 1/4 cup of Agave Natural sweetener and Maple syrup. If you decide to use brown sugar in this recipe you will need to add 3/4 cup.   I have even been able to get Flavored Agave Syrup at Marshalls.  For this recipe I used Blueberry Flavor Agave Syrup but the plain Agave Syrup Sweetener would work just fine.


If you are watching the amount of sugar you consume, Agave Nectar is better for you since it scores lower on the Glycemic Index (17Gl) so it will help by not raising your blood sugar.  As with anything especially a sweetener use Agave in moderation and just enough to sweeten your coffee for example. This sweetener is super sweet.   Read more about Agave Nectar sweetener here.

You can download a copy of my recipe from this site
Jabberbug

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hi