Sunday, September 12, 2010

Charleston Tea Plantation



I learned a few things about tea during our visit to America's only tea garden located in Wadmalaw Island.  The tea grown in these fields is processed to make black tea, oolong and green tea.  We went inside the tea factory and watched a very nice presentation and saw the equipment used in the different stages of tea production.  At the end of the 15 minute presentation there was tea for sampling.  Truly delicious indeed, just a little pricey at around .80 per tea bag.





The tea  is dormant during the winter months but once the warm spring temperatures arrive the bushes take off and thrive in the hot and humid Charleston weather.  The bushes are pest free so there is no need to  treat using chemicals making this wonderful product organic.










We skipped the trolley ride which mainly took people around the tea farm.

 I could not get enough of the majestic large oaks. 
 
Took some pictures nearby the Tea plantation.  The grass in the water is everywhere.  I'm guessing the reeds is what the locals use to make the beautiful reed baskets.
This boat landing is also in the same area.  The quiet and serene conditions and landscape of South Carolina Low country is something we both loved.  A boat ride would have been perfect.  Cliff said that he'd have to own a boat if we lived in this area.
I'm so thankful we were able to get away and I have no doubt...we'll come back.




Jabberbug

1 comment:

craft-chick said...

Thank you for sharing about the tea plantation...it is actually at the top of my list of places I want to see in the Charleston area...especially since I drink so much of their tea already! I'm glad you enjoyed your visit!!