Sunday, August 09, 2009

Bumper Crop of Tomatoes


We are harvesting tomatoes daily. Most of the times I just eat them fresh in salads or tomato sandwiches. I decided to try a tomato pie and followed a recipe from Allrecipes. It turned out good but as I suspected a little watery. This might turn off some people. Still the cheeses do add to the flavor. You can really use just about any kind of cheese. I made my pie with a mix of Colby and Monterrey Jack and Parmesan cheese.

For the crust I used the Pillsbury refrigerated Pie Crust. I did make a change and cut back on the amount of mayonnaise and added Lite Sour Cream instead. I added a generous amount of fresh chopped basil. Some recipes tell you to brush the bottom of the pie shell with an egg white before adding the fillingg. I made the mistake of placing a piece to foil and dry beans on top to weigh down the dough while pre baking. Do not do this the foil will stick to the bottom of the pie shell. Major disaster. All you need to do is really pierce small holes and if you desire brushing with te egg white, but I really don't think it makes much of a difference. This is a pretty wet and soupy like filling. Not something everyone likes. As I said if you don't like the runny consistency of this pie, you many not want to try it.


I could not resist playing with the vegetables.
Tomatoes might be considered a fruit....Not sure.

Another funny face....

2 comments:

BeyondStitches said...

Que delicia! Prefiero mis tomates crudos que cocidos. Frezquecito de la planta, delicioso!!!! Me encantanron los "funny faces."

Anonymous said...

Great blog. Those are funny veggies and cute!